Welcome to your Positive Monday Post, a great way to kick-off your week with the right frame of mind to drive great results over the next 5 days.
Last Friday I shared the Zappos 10 Core values, and subsequently this weekend I watched an amazing 55m Google Talk by Tony Hsieh that I’m sure will really resonate with you on a personal, as well as a professional level.
In order to facilitate the experience for those that might not have 55m to invest during a busy work-week, I’ve taken the liberty to edit down the highlights into an 2x 9m versions (because YouTube doesn’t take more than 10m clips) followed by a key take-away listed below.
1. The real reason why Tony sold his first company LinkExchange.. was a bad Company Culture
2. The Precondition for the Amazon acquisition of Zappos; independence & culture untouched
3. Zappos as a Service Company.. “that just happens to sell shoes”
4. Revenue driven by a Repeat Customer Focus
5. Investing in Customer Experiences; Channel advertising & marketing spend toward customer experience & word-of-mouth marketing
6. The key questions to answer for increasing Repeat Customers
- What do customers really expect?
- What do customers actually want?
- What emotions do customers feel?
- What stories do they tell their friends?
- How can culture create more stories?
7. Free Shipping both ways means less profit on individual orders in exchange for more purchases, higher revenue & profit over-all
8. Surprise upgrades focused on Customer Experience Efficiency vs. Warehouse Efficiency
9. The Telephone as a branding tool
10. An Integration Process guarantying Engaged, Passionate & Committed staff
- the end-of-the-first-week $2.000 offer
11. Customer Service shouldn’t just be a department
12. The three C’s of Happiness-in-a-Box
- Customer Service
13. The Secret to Delivering Happiness; “People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel”
14. The two most important ingredients
- Very Strong Culture & Core Values (short defining verb phrase)
- Vision with a higher purpose
15. The answer to Purpose; What are you so passionate about.. that you’d do it for the next 10 years even if you never made a dime at it?
- Chase the Vision & not the money
16. The Atlanta Refrigeration Company example
17. Inspiration vs. Motivation
- it’s 2 way commitment
18. The power of communicating intention to employees resulting in alignment & engagement
19. Be “High Touch” instead of “High Tech”
20. Where does the story begin & where does it end?
21. Take a step back – What is your Goal in Life?
- The magic of Why
22. The Science of Happiness – 1998
- You can’t just ask what makes you happy..
23. Tony’s CliffsNotes
- Perceived Control
- Perceived progress
- Vision / Meaning
- Pleasure – Rock Star
- Engagement – Flow
- Meaning – Higher Purpose
- Great Business = Profit, Passion & Purpose
- Great Happiness = Pleasure, Passion & Purpose
24. Happiness = High personally & professionally profits
25. Customer Happiness & The Happiness Eco System
And last but not least; Zappos’ Higher Purpose of delivering happiness to the world!
There were so many lessons to be taken away.. what were your highlights? What resonated most with you?