“Nothing’s forever. Forever’s a lie. All we have is what’s between hello and goodbye.” – Marilyn Bergman
How are you filling in the spaces between your hello’s & goodbye’s? When you walked out the door this morning where was your head at? If you were unfortunately never to see your loved ones again, did you say everything that needed to be said? Did you leave on terms that you could never regret?
How about your focus? Where is it today? Is your glass half full or half empty? The next time you decide to complain about all that’s wrong in your life, quickly have a thought about the 33 Chilean miners stuck 10 city blocks beneath the earths surface for the past 3 weeks, with at least another 3-4 months ahead of them before they see the light of day.
Or take a moment to reflect on the 72 migrant workers horrifically assassinated last week in Mexico. Poor people desperate & striving to make a simple living to provide for the essentials of food & shelter for their families. Given this new perspective, how BIG do the challenges facing you today look now?
7 Simple Steps
To help you better cope with the challenges you face on a regular basis;
- Identify what’s at the core of the pain and or fear you’re feeling; this might take a series of self-reflective “why” exercises until you can reach the true core of your issue. Embrace what you’re feeling without judging yourself so as to accept your answers for what they are without judging them. Focus on defusing emotions or limitations based on embarrassment or pride. Finally, don’t allow it to be about anyone else. You are the master of your own destiny when it comes to how you allow others to affect you. If you are in a situation you don’t like, you can always establish a process or strategy to make alleviate yourself from the pain.
- “Turn it around” by doing “The Work” to validate where you are so far; (1) Is it true? (2) Can you absolutely know that it’s true? (3) How do you react when you believe that thought? (4) Who would you be without that thought?
- Focus on where you slipped instead of where you’ve fallen; instead of punishing yourself for your current state, look for the lessons and inventory what behaviors you need to change to keep you from landing in the same hole again.
- Identify a Strategy to Move Forward; what’s holding you back is either a limiting belief or lack of an effective strategy. An “effective strategy” is simply a series of predefined steps strung together to achieve a predetermined outcome.
- Take Serious & Purposeful Steps Forward; at minimum set daily & periodic “intentions” when you’re not capable of setting hard goals. Align your intentions & actions in a manner of ensuring they allow you to measure continual progress through a pulse-check process.
- Build Your Dream Team; “You will be the same person in five as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read.” – Charles Tremendous Jones. Network, network, network.. build a really strong network, surround yourself with people smarter & more capable than you whenever possible so that even when you don’t know anyone, you increase the probability that you might know someone.. who knows someone else. Key tip.. you’re network could be virtual or even just access to information.
- Live Your Powerful Mission; having stepped through this process and seeing it work, repeat it on an ongoing basis. Once you’ve accomplished something, repeating your success becomes much easier, increasing its scope on an ongoing & continual basis.
It’s Monday & you’ve got the rest of the week ahead of you. What “work” are you going to do, or at least kick-off, this week that will make it different from the rest?